Saturday, February 20, 2010

Winterlicious 2010 #1 (pre vegan days)

For our first Winterlicious outing this year we headed to the Distillery District... Boiler House restaurant to be exact with Tammy and Nick... Winterlicious menu was only available during dinner and it was priced at $35.00 per person, not including drinks... Jay and I showed up 15min early... the place was packed... live music was playing... and the overall atmosphere was pretty nice... we had a drink while waiting for T&N... Jay had a beer and I decided to try their version of a simple vodka martini with olives... ehh I truly disliked the glass... I just love the long stemmed martini glasses... this just sat all wrong in my hand... the drink itself was passable...
once T&N arrived we were showed to our table pretty promptly... below is our bread basket... simple...
we placed our drink orders Nick just had a Coke (designated driver), Jason had a glass of red, Tammy rum and Coke, and I a glass of white... (I don't remember exactly what type of wines we ordered anymore), needless to say Jay and I ordered a glass each. Our waitress removed Tammy's and Nick's wine glasses and left ours at the table... then came back with two bottles of wine and poured it tableside... well actually she was standing behind me. This just irked me a tad... I mean seriously honey, couldn't you just have done that at the bar and brought it over... you totally eyeballed it. Moreover she never came back to ask any of us if we would like another... I guess there was a one drink minimum... Actually once we placed our dinner orders we didn't see our waitress until it was time to pay the bill... from now on only food runners arrived at our table...
here is a little amuse.... a tiny falafel on a square of flat bread with some kind of a sauce and pickled onion... forgettable...
next our appetizers
Tammy: Parsnip bisque, crispy sheep’s feta polenta
I didn't try the polenta because I don't like sheep's cheese but the soup was very good.
Me: Pan fried grouper cakes, pickled red cabbage and endive slaw, celery root and cider emulsion
The cakes were yummy (there were two of them)... nice and chunky... but I didn't care for the salad... it just hit my taste buds all wrong
Jay and Nick: Warm flan of duck and shallot confit, blond frisee, currant and Quebec blue cheese salad
and wow what happened here... looks like the flans were in separate ovens at different temperatures... that is not impressive...
but lets move on the our mains
Jay: Grilled beef sirloin pot pie, fava bean and roasted eggplant stew, crisp potato cakes
I don't know why they called it pot pie... it wasn't... it's was a steak on top of a stew, topped with a potato cake not cakes. Other than the deceiving menu description, it was an alright dish.

Me: Pan roasted arctic char, white onion and fennel puree, charred lemon and squid vinaigrette
I loved my dish... couldn't find fault with it... simple and tasty...
Nick and Tammy: Roasted cornish game hen, sour cream and chive new potato smash, shallot and rosemary jus
ah...once again lack of plating consistency... it looks like one of the hens is upside down, and there was a lot more jus on one of the plates as well... it seems the kitchen wasn't trying...
but let's move on to dessert... by the way just a reminder that at no time were we asked if we'd like another drink... and so we were also not offered tea or coffee come dessert time...
Me: Butternut squash and mascarpone beignets crème fraiche, clementine syrup, & filbert brittle
yuck... they were cold and greasy... the whipped cream was over whipped... the flavor bland...
Nick: Chocolate angel food cake, warm cranberry compote, candied orange zest
I didn't try it... but this seemed more of a Christmas dessert...
Tammy and Jay: Apple and aged gouda bread pudding, thyme & maple caramel, candied pumpkin
Seriously... was this food even coming out of the same kitchen... I mean they ordered the exact same thing... who was in charge of quality over there... they should be embarrassed by their laziness
Once our plates were cleared... our waitress reappeared... we couldn't wait to get the hell out of there. Tammy and I both dropped our visas, so she could easily split the bill in half... she couldn't and didn't... it took her about 20min to fix her mistake...

Overall... not worth bothering with... I wish I never went there, for an upscale restaurant, both their service and their food fall short...

No comments:

Post a Comment