Sunday, September 19, 2010

a little date...

School has officially started. My schedule is pretty nutty. Jay and I only see each other sleeping Monday to Thursday. So since there are no tutorials first week of school, that meant I had the evening off on Friday... we decided to go for dinner to Earth... I loved the decor, spacious, and comfortable...
some water to quench our thirst...then a Belvedere vodka martini for me with three olvies... yum... it's been so long since I enjoyed a perfect vodka tini... it was delicious...
for Jay something fun... Tom Collins... very citrusy...
a couple of buttermilk biscuits... Jason enjoyed them both :)
Appetizers:
for me organic greens; wild blueberry vinegar, pumpkin seeds
simple and delicious... the pickled onions were just the right amount of tartness
for Jay john’s elk tartare; quail’s egg, capers, toast, garlic chips
looks so pretty... and someone needs a manicure :)
we ordered a bottle of red, we're both sort of obsessed with Ontario vintages and chose from Fielding Estate Winery 2008 Pinot Noir... it was a very good choice
Mains:
for Jay crispy walnut hill sweetbreads; fennel frisée salad, nova scotia scallop, pancetta
I believe the kitchen was quite amused by us, because at a table of two, one is a vegan, and the other orders the most unvegan items on the menu... :)
for me a vegan plate created by the kitchen... it was delicious... gorgeous greens, the last of sweet Ontario peas, Ontario white beans, and a grilled tomato and eggplant tower topped with a candied Serrano pepper... the pepper was very interesting... sweet at first and then the lingering heat... I commented how much I enjoyed it... next thing I know the kitchen sends out a little side plate with three more... I couldn't disappoint and ate them all... yum and ouch at the same :)... and the whole delicious medley was only $18.00...
for dessert I continued to enjoy our red... while Jay had Ontario peaches and cream; upside down cake, corn sorbet, house bacon brittle... as a vegan that is the only thing I feel cheated out of in restaurants... my dessert options are (unless in a vegan friendly place) sorbet or liqueur... neither appealed to me that night...

No comments:

Post a Comment